Travelling can be an amazingly rejuvenating experience. However, for many packing the bags for a long trip to their dream destination isn’t a viable option due to demanding careers.
Whilst, the city of Nizams have pretty much to keep its people and tourists charmed, escaping for a rejuvenating break every now and then is anytime a great choice to make. So, regardless of how busy or bored you are, get up, get going and explore some of these weekend destinations around Hyderabad!
1. Maredumilli & Rampachodavaram
A seasonal picnic spot, both these locations are known for splendid waterfalls that emerge during the monsoons. Maredumili is touted as one of India’s finest eco-tourism spots conserved by the local tribal population living in the vicinity. If you love to be enchanted by natural places and lip-smacking local delicacies, this is the place to be. Don’t forget to try Bamboo Chicken, which is Maredumili’s specialty. Also, the view of the waterfall and a long drive through the forest terrain makes these spots ideal for a weekend road trip.
- Where: East of Hyderabad, about 450 km from the main city.
- How to Reach: Take a road trip for the hypnotic views
- Best Time to Visit: July-August
2. Nagarjuna Sagar
Many people know about this dam on the Krishna river, but not many are aware that this place was one of the biggest Buddhist learning centers in South India in the past. The location was once the capital for a flourishing dynasty, and one can visit several Buddhist monasteries and monuments at the Nagarjuna Hill. Once reaching the dam, you can be enthralled by the panoramic views from the top of the dam or take a boat ride to the middle of the Nagarjuna Sagar to the Nagarjuna Hill.
- Where: 165 km from Hyderabad on the borders of Gunthur & Nalgonda districts
- How to Reach: Three-hour drive from Hyderabad for which cabs can be booked. One can also use board a train to Macherla Railway Station, i.e. 24 km away from the dam.
- Best Time to Visit: August- February
Karimnagar is a popular pilgrimage spot that was the center for some ancient dynasties, temples, and forts. One can visit the Elgandal Fort or can spend the day visiting different temples like Sri Raja Rajeshwara Swamy Temple, Mukteshwara Swamy Temple or Dharmapuri Temple. If you love nature, you can spend some time at the Deer Park or Manair Dam, all near the main city. Don’t forget to shop for traditional silver filigree handicraft jewelry & products from local markets, while you are here.
- Where: 164 km from Hyderabad in north-western Andhra Pradesh on the banks of Manair river
- How to Reach: Take a state-run bus from Hyderabad bus stand, drive or book a cab.
- Best time to visit: October- March
Gulbarga or Kalburgi, as it is popularly known in the region was a part of the former Nizam dynasty of Hyderabad. The place is famous for Old Fort, Jama Masjid, tombs, temples, numerous shrines and the Chandrampalli Dam on Bhima River.
You can spend a day exploring the rich heritage and appreciating the Islamic architecture or head over to the dam for camping & trekking activities.
- Where: 231 km from Hyderabad, in Karnataka
- How to Reach: Regular buses and trains ply on the route. You can also take a road trip.
- Best time to visit: October- March
A UNESCO World Heritage Site, Pattadakal is famous for temples and monuments from the Chalukya era. If you are a history buff, you will love to spend time in this village exploring the ancient temples, a Jain sanctuary, and the astounding Virupaksha Temple.
- Where: 398 km from Hyderabad in Bagalkot district in Karnataka
- How to Reach: Plan a road trip or take a state-run bus from the bus stand
- Best Time to Visit: October- March
Situated on the banks of River Pennar, the village is known as the Grand Canyon of India. One can witness splendid views of Pennar river cutting through sandy mountain gorges or can visit the Gandikota fort which has a history dating back to the 16th century. If you love scenic views and want to experience Grand Canyon on a budget, plan your trip to this place, and you’ll not be disappointed.
- Where: 390 kilometers from Hyderabad, in Andhra Pradesh
- How to Reach: Take a Train from Hyderabad to Kondapuram which is 50 km from Gandikota, or you can plan a road trip.
- Best Time to Visit: October- February
Inessential to say each of these places around Hyderabad offer an experience worth a lifetime. If you are one of those individuals who fancy going on long drives, then this write-up will be of great help! Move out of Hyderabad by hitting the roads right away!
If you want a relaxed ride to any of these destinations, try Beep. Beep is a progressive outstation rental cab aggregator, offering best-in-class and economical cab booking experience. So, what are you waiting for? Get going!