Owning a car is a big responsibility. Moreover, if you are someone who keeps planning for long haul trips, you need to ensure your car is always in good shape. If you are a car enthusiast and are looking to get the maximum value out of your investment in a car, we bring some handy tips that will help you enhance your car’s performance and life.
As a famous saying goes- ‘Prevention is better than cure,’ these tips will help you prevent serious damages and will extend your car’s life.
1. Keep the Tires Rolling
Tires are a vital part of any vehicle and are often ignored when it comes to maintenance. However, you should keep some things in mind if you want to ensure your car keeps running. As a car owner, your focus shouldn’t be only on the feature-rich interiors but on the tires, too. Here are some ways to maintain your car’s tire health:
- Periodically Check the Tire Pressure: Poor tire pressure can not only bring down your mileage but is also a hazardous risk. If your tires are underinflated, they will wear out sooner which means you will have to shell more money out of your pocket. If you overinflate your tire, it might lead to a blowout which can bring danger to your life. Always keep the tire pressure as suggested by your car manufacturer. Also, give a good look at your tires, once a month.
- Rotate Your Tires: While we discuss tires, one thing we would like to suggest is rotating the tires. It should be done to even out the wear on both sides, left and right. You can take the help of a mechanic to swap left/right tires. Doing this will extend their lifespan.
2. Observe ‘Under The Hood’ Activity
The engine is the most valuable part of your car. So, if you want to keep your car in good shape, you need to pay heed to everything that’s happening under the hood. Here are some tips for maintaining your engine health:
- Check fluid levels regularly: Various fluids are running through your car for the smooth functioning of the gearbox, power steering, and the engine. You will have to maintain fluid levels, top them up. You also need to make sure no fluid- engine coolant, power steering fluid & gearbox fluid isn’t leaking.
- Take care of engine belts: Several belts keep things rolling in your engine. When you are not using your car, you should check these engine belts for cracks, wears, fraying, etc. Also, read the user manual to know how often you need to lubricate and change a belt.
3. Be Attentive Towards Warning Signs
As a car owner, you need to be attentive towards every light that illuminates on your dash and every unusual sound when your car is in motion. Often, before the breakdown, every machine, including your car will show warning signs to get your attention. When you witness something unusual, take your car to a mechanic. Delaying repairs might do irreparable damage that will be very expensive to fix. So, whenever you are in the car, before moving forward, give a minute to observe everything is all right.
4. Always Go to an Authorized Center for Vehicle Servicing
Keeping your car healthy isn’t something you can do on your own. Just like you need a routine checkup, you will have to take your car to a service agent from time to time. When you plan for a car service, make sure that you go to an authorized center only. This way you will be sure about the quality of care and service your car receives. A professional car service agent will perform routine checks and will also:
For detailed service schedule, always refer to the manufacturer’s manual and do as suggested by your manufacturer.
Now that you know everything about maintaining your car’s health, you should plan for a diagnostic as soon as possible. See how many points you already score high on and identify the areas where you are lacking. Also, if you feel maintaining a car is a hassle, you can always think of using rental cabs for moving from one city to another. Beep is a reliable and rapidly growing outstation car rental platform that gives you the best deals on outstation rental car bookings. Try beep and feel the difference, now!